Las Vegas is synonymous with glitz and high rollers, but there are a surprising number of fun and entertaining things to do on a budget from shows to great deals on food. The casinos and over-the-top hotels are can be explored for free and there is plenty to see. With so many affordable flights to Las Vegas from UK, you can have a great time without breaking your budget.
1. Visit the over 1,000 fountains at the Bellagio. They dance to all kinds of music and are considered the most complex water feature in the world. The show is free and truly amazing. At night the fountains team up with the volcano at the Mirage for a spectacular audio/visual spectacle.
2. Stroll through the Venetian Resort Hotel and Casino for the re-creation of the ambiance of Venice. There are canals, excellent restaurants, wandering accordion players, opera singers and gondolas. Spend an hour wandering through the shopping area with street performers and live music. It doesn’t cost a thing.
3. There is also live entertainment on Freemont Street in downtown Las Vegas. Street performers, live music as well as galleries, casinos and other entertainment. It is famous for its 12.5 million lights and the Neon Museum.
4. Check out the Arts District open every day from 9:00am to 6:00pm and a participant of First Friday, which is a monthly street festival. There are free rides on trollies, street entertainment and children can join in drawing on the sidewalks with chalk.
5. The Flamingo Hotel has a flock of Chilean Flamingos in its Wildlife Habitat as well as swans, ducks, turtles, koi and animals not native to Nevada, where they are all living in the environment of waterfalls and tropical foliage.
6. The MGM Grand has a Lion Habitat with up to 31 lions. Open every day from 11:00am to 10:00pm, visitors see the lions being fed as well as demonstrations.
7. The Silverton has over 4,000 tropical fish in a huge saltwater aquarium. It presents a mermaid show on the weekends with mermaids swimming with the fish and performing twirls, dances, flips and stunts. This is a great treat for children who love Ariel and Sebastian. The fish include Triggerfish, Parrotfish, Leopard Sharks, Emperor Angelfish, Unicorn Tang and Achilles Tang.
8. The world’s largest permanent circus act is named Circus Circus and has acrobats, jugglers, trapeze acts and much more. It is in the middle of the casino’s midway and includes five acres of trilling rides, the circus acts and many carnival and arcade games and prizes.
9. Enjoy a tour of Ethel’s Chocolates Factory and get free samples at the end. It offers a quiet break and children love it. Located on the southwest side of town, it is a 15-minute drive from the Strip and includes a Botanical Cactus Garden with thousands of lights. The garden is open from 5:00pm to 10:00pm and is free.
10. For a taste of ancient United States, visit the Marjorie Barrick Museum of Natural History and learn about the American Indian cultures in the southwestern desert and the history of ancient Mexico. It is located on the campus of the University of Nevada just east of the Strip. It is open from 8:00am – 4:45pm Monday – Friday and 10:00am – 2:00pm on Saturday. It is closed on Sunday.
Many casinos offer inexpensive buffets where visitors can get a good meal for an affordable price. For those who plan a holiday to Las Vegas, there are plenty of fun things to do that are free, and it’s still possible to get an excellent steak dinner for less than seven pounds.
What do you think?